Saturday, July 13, 2013

Barbarians of Heavy Metal Kickstarter

Unplugged Backer rewards.
I was checking around Kickstarter this morning as I often do, looking  for something new, something exciting, something eye-catching, and then I found this. Barbarians of Heavy Metal, a role playing game where the players get to play Guitar wielding, apocalyptic metal heads, with mechs. I am so in on this one. Everything about this game screams classic 80s heavy metal fantasy album art. While I do find the setting to be interesting and as I read through their Kickstarter page it is evident that they guys doing this have a sense of humor and that is something you really need when developing a role playing game about 1980s metal music. The idea of the game being released on tablets, while an interesting concept honestly kind of put me off. I don't what to have to be the GM that has to tell everyone that they have to have an android tablet to role play with me. My other concern is that I don't have to worry about my character sheets bugging out, crashing and erasing themselves in the middle of a gaming session. Now they are offering a soft cover version of the game, called the "unplugged" version and that is what I will be looking at. Reading the questions at the bottom there is some concern over the programming knowledge of the people involved, however they did say that if something would happen and the app release would not work they will be doing softcover versions of the game for every backer. It seems that they people running the campaign are really into their product and very willing to talk to the community about the game. I would say check it out and if you are interested at all back them, I don't know that this would work well for a long term campaign but I think this would make a great setting for those one off games.

No comments:

Post a Comment